Sunday, August 15, 2021

Who's who of Prey

[Fun prey-source]

Ruru the Cat here.  It's a fun time of year because little things with lots of legs keep showing up, so we can kill them.  They're not as fun as mice, but I'll take them because they hop around until we pounce on them.  Then, they stop hopping.  I'm not sure what they are.  They also don't taste as good as mice, but they're better than nothing.  We've had a few of them show up.  Wren is a big fan.  You'd think they'd tell each other to stay out, but one right after another, they keep showing up.  So while we're waiting for the mice, we'll take them.  


[MORE legs-source]

There are even more of these ones, and they have more legs.  Sadly, they don't hop much.  You'd think with that many legs, they'd hop more.  They also tend to hide in corners, which makes them a little harder to catch.  Still, if there aren't any mice, they're better than nothing.  Yesterday, I watched one hang out in the tub. I would have chased it except it was on the other side of the water from where I was sitting. My people didn't scream, though I've heard some screams come because of these things.  I really don't get it.  Just pounce on them, eat them, and you're done.  


[hardest prey-source]

These ones are the most common of all, but they're hard to catch.  You try pouncing on them, and you get some human upset at you because you land on them instead with your claws extended.  I wish they'd hold still, so I could taste one.  One of these days, I'll be able to catch one. Then, you'll know what they taste like. 

[The red dot-source]

These are even more elusive that the little black bugs with wings.  I couldn't tell you what they taste like, either, because I've never caught one.  I'm determined that one of these days, I will catch one.  But whenever they show up, Bean beats me to them, and the humans laugh.  Bean says he never caught one either.  Hmm.  They must be the hardest of all to catch.  It's so unfair.  

[best prey, a mouse-source]

But if you see one of these, make sure to call us over.  I'm pretty sure I've sniffed a few recently.  They just seem to be getting smarter and hiding in places we seven cats can't reach.  It's so frustrating.  When we do catch them, they're awesome.  They can provide hours of fun, dinner and a show.  It's been a while.  I can't wait 'til they come down from where they're hiding, so we can show them what fun is.  




No comments:

Post a Comment